Monday, January 5, 2009

The Christmas Season

I can't believe Christmas is over! It seems like we wait all year for the Christmas season, and it's already come and gone. It was a very happy holiday for us. I made a list of a few of the things we will miss (but look forward to in another 11 months!):

NEW CHRISTMAS DRESSES
Isn't Clara a doll? I love getting my girls all dressed up in their new Christmas dresses. Somehow I never got a picture of Isabelle, but trust me, she looked very beautiful, too.


TOBIAS THE ELF!!
Every year our elf, Tobias, visits our family. What does the elf do you may ask? Well, he makes sure the kids are being good...keeping an especially keen eye on Isabelle and Eli, takes note of the gifts we are asking for, and makes friends with the cats. Every year we try our darndest to catch him. He leaves us fun little things, but we have never managed to catch him. Maybe next year!


FAMILY NATIVITY
This year we added the "Christmas Dog" to the Nativity (see Abram). He barked throughout all the songs :)


CHRISTMAS STORIES ON CHRISTMAS EVE
Throughout December we like to read about Christ's birth. Then on Christmas Eve we read, "Twas the Night Before Christmas" right before bedtime.


CUTE PICTURES OF THE KIDS IN FRONT OF THE TREE
In our mad scramble to get some Christmas cards out, we gather the kids around the Christmas tree and hope for a good picture. The kids all hate this. And perhaps you are wondering where your Christmas cards are? Well, they are on my laundry room counter just waiting for stamps.


CLARA MAKING OFF WITH MOM'S LOVELY ORNAMENTS
If this child weren't so stinking cute she would have been in some big trouble this year! Every time I turned around she was stealing ornaments off my tree and stashing them in crazy places. She knew she was being naughty, which only made her more quick and sneaky.


COUSINS, COUSINS, and more COUSINS!
We had a fabulous time with the Whiting Cousins. We went to the zoo one afternoon and I think it was the most fun we had all December. Well, the kids might argue that Christmas was the highlight of December, but the zoo would certainly be a close second. Good times!

Grandma Call bought the girls matching outfits. Too cute!!


OH, THE ANTICIPATION...
The kids all sleep in the same room on Christmas Eve and nobody is allowed to leave the room until Mom and Dad make sure Santa has come, turn on the Christmas music and Christmas lights on the tree, and get the camcorder all set up...Then we line up and head downstairs!


PRESENTS FROM BROTHERS AND SISTERS
Each year the kids draw names and buy gifts for eachother. We keep our names secret until Christmas morning, when everyone guesses who had them based on the gift they received. Usually we are able to guess who Jonah had right off, because the gift is usually a bit odd, but chosen with great care and love. The kids LOVE to pick out presents for eachother and spend quite a bit of time finding the PERFECT thing. Here are the sibling gifts for 2008...


OH, AND LET'S NOT FORGET WHAT SANTA BROUGHT
Guitar Hero World Tour (like Rockband). LOVE THIS GAME! And Dance Dance Revolution.

And for the little guys, Wiggle Cars
These are the greatest invention. The kids love them and cruise them all around our kitchen and entry way and dining room. Clara hops onto the back, holds on for dear life, and totally LOVES the ride! Fun, fun, fun!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

What a fun time of year! I'm trying not to get too depressed with all the fun being over. I love all your Christmas tradtions but must say I'm offended that you don't recall one of your favorite times of the month as either game night or girls shopping:)

Melanie Arkoudas said...

You guys look like you had a great Christmas and I am now going to watch my mailbox daily for your Christmas Card, and if you have forgotten to add me to your list, just picture me going daily to my mailbox watching and waiting for your Card! ;)! I can't believe how big and beautiful Clara is getting and what a stinker to knowingly steal your ornaments. I think that is too cute! Hope all is well with you guys!

Megs said...

I just love that picture of Clara. Who needs Hailey any more. I sure don't. I finally got a camera. Wahoo! Your kids are all growing up. Isabelle looks so much older.I am with Melanie. I want my card. I won't be waiting by the mailbox though. It is to cold for that.