Friday, September 19, 2008

Flashback Friday


Grandma Reta and Grandpa Bill holding baby Brittany

I have been thinking about my grandparents quite a bit lately, so this Flashback Friday is for them. I lived with them quite a bit growing up, so I have MANY happy childhood memories that include my grandparents. Here are some in no particular order:

* Grandma Reta ALWAYS made grilled cheese sandwiches made with velveeta cheese. They were my favorite! And quite frankly, my love for all processed cheese stems from these delicious sandwiches.

* Jeopardy. To this day, whenever I hear the Jeopardy music, I think of my grandpa sitting in his chair watching that show. Also, he was a big fan of Wheel of Fortune (old school, where they would pick their prizes off a revolving circle with different furniture and luxury items. Does anybody besides me remember that?)

* Toll painting with Grandma Reta.

* Playing chinese checkers with my Grandma's marble collection. I always wanted the pretty brown, white, and orange swirled ones.

* Getting a small allowance, then walking over to the penny candy store and picking treats. I LOVED doing this and the memory STILL makes me happy. When I wander into Dick's Hardware and see their penny candy I get a fuzzy feeling inside :)

* Grandma walking me to JA Taylor Elementary with a trash bag over my head to protect me from the rain.

* My Grandpa built me THE MOST SPECTACULAR Barbie house ever. He made furniture for every room and my grandma sewed curtains for the windows and cushions for the couches. The outside part even had fake grass and an awesome picnic table. I wish so badly I still had it for my girls. I have no idea whatever became of it. It likely disappeared in one of our many moves. Sad.

* My Grandma always (in a teasing way) would blame me for losing her glasses and her coffee. It would always make me laugh.

* Sitting on my grandmas lap while she rocked me, telling her about the diseases and sicknesses I thought I had. I was crying and I remember her telling me about her gallbladder :)

* Grandma and Grandpa's dog, Devon. He was a scotty, and they loved that dog. They still (as far as I know) collect all things Scotty. An odd, but true fact: over the years, I have found that sometimes I get very giggly at very inopportune times. I will get the laughing bug when things should be serious or quiet. Or when someone gets hurt or feels bad and just one tiny part of the situation strikes me as funny. So, ever since I was a little girl living with Devon, I would say in my head over and over again, "Devon is my favorite dog. Devon is my favorite dog" to keep my cool when all I really wanted to was laugh at unfunny situations where others might think me a big jerk or totally crazy if I were to give in to it! I still do this today. So there you have it, your odd Brittany fact of the day.

Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa, for taking us in so many times while I was growing up. I love that I have so many memories of you both. They really do make me look back and smile.
Britt

7 comments:

Jodi said...

What great memories you have. I love that you have so many of them.

Camille said...

That is beautiful, and you have such a great memory to remember them all so well. I'm not sure I remember the old-school Wheel of Fortune that you're talking about. I remember the wheel with money numbers on it...

Karen said...

That is so great that you have such wonderful memories. It made me start thinking about all the memories I have of my Grandparents.

Kristi said...

Wheel of Fortune was my favorite! I loved when the camera would scan all the cool prizes with the pricetags and I would try to figure out what I would buy if I had won!

Em&Em said...

I enjoyed hearing the memories of your grandparents. I also laugh at times when it is not appropriate. I have to bite my lip so hard to keep from laughing and it takes a long time to get the giggles to go away.

Megs said...

YES! I remember because I loved wheel of fortune. I watched it with my Grandma all of the time.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Britt, Thanks for featuring us on your blog. It was really good of you. I had to print it out so your G'ma could take it to her quilting group to show off.

And sorry for being so late in getting back to you.

G'pa